JONATHAN K. : VOCALS
- Where were you born? - Seattle, Washington
- How long on your current instrument? Since I came screaming into the world.
- Other instruments played? Piano, guitar, kazoo
- Musical influences? I was influenced strongly by my family when growing up. My father was an opera singer, my grandmother a concert pianist. Two of uncles as well were performers in several iconic rock bands from the Seattle area. They all taught me to listen closely to all forms of music. Well known bands I listened to a lot include, Queen, The Who, Grand Funk Railroad, Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Accept, AC/DC, Dio, as well as many many others.
- Current Favorite Music: Currently I listen to a lot of Sabaton, Kamelot and Rainbow.
- Favorite place you've played? Anywhere I get to be on stage and perform Q5 songs is my favorite place.
- Favorite NON MUSICAL activities? I collect rare books and maps. I love to watch movies.
- First Album Ever Purchased? I think, a local band called Touch.
- Favorite Foods? as a type, Chinese.
- Favorite Movies? Braveheart, Tombstone, The Godfather I, II, The Road Warrior, North by Northwest,and many many more.
DENNIS TURNER : GUITARS/VOCALS
1. Where were you born? Renton Wa
2. How long on your current instrument? 37 years
3. Other instruments played? Bass
4. Musical influences? All 70's and 80's music. Led Zeppelin, Rush, Boston, Van Halen etc. Jimmy Page, George Lynch, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Sykes
5. Current Favorite Music: Gretta Van Fleet
6. Favorite place you've played? All venue's thus far in Germany and Greece
7. Favorite NON MUSICAL activities? Hiking, camping, sports and road trips!
8. First Album Ever Purchased? Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti"
9. Favorite Foods? Pizza, burgers and mexican!
10. Favorite Movies? Dumb and Dumber, Under Seige, K2
EVAN SHEELEY : BASS/VOCALS
- Where were you born? Yakima, Washington
- How long on your current instrument? 52 years
- Other instruments played? Piano & trumpet
- Musical influences? The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Cream, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest & Budgie
- Current Favorite Music: Heavy Metal
- Favorite place you've played? Sweden Rock Festival & Headbangers Open Air Festival in Germany
- Favorite NON MUSICAL activities? Vintage cars
- First Album Ever Purchased? Meet The Beatles
- Favorite Foods? Italian & Mexican
- Favorite Movies? Rocky Horror Picture Show, Phantasm, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, Jaws, Goodfellas
JAMES NELSON : GUITARS/VOCALS
1. Where were you born? Seattle, WA
2. How long on your current instrument? 4.5 decades
3. Other instruments played? Bass, Drums, Keys and Vocals
4. Musical influences? Uli Roth, EVH, Vai, Petrucci, Satriani, Iommi, Yngwie, Lynch and many more.
5. Current Favorite Music: Progressive Metal, Metal
6. Favorite place you've played? Hart Plaza, Detroit, MI
7. Favorite NON MUSICAL activities? Catching and photographing Venomous Reptiles
8. First Album Ever Purchased? The Hollies (1st album)
9. Favorite Foods? Mediterranean food, Greek first and foremost
10. Favorite Movies? Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Shooter, War of the Worlds, Walk Hard (the Dewey Cox Story), The Year One, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, Little Nicky
JEFFREY McCORMACK : DRUMS/VOCALS
1. Where were you born? Danville, Indiana
2. How long on your current instrument? A VERY LONG TIME
3. Other instruments played? Piano, Guitar, Bass
4. Musical influences? Zeppelin, Bowie, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Billy Joel, and TONS more
5. Current Favorite Music: Amaranthe, Cyhra, KXM, Airbourne, Aquarium Rescue Unit
6. Favorite place you've played? Keep It True Festival, Lauda Konigshofen Germany
7. Favorite NON MUSICAL activities? Cartoons
8. First Album Ever Purchased? KISS: THE ORIGINALS (First 3 LPs packaged together)
9. Favorite Foods? anything Italian, I could eat lasagna for every meal, every day....
10. Favorite Movies? Nolan's BATMAN trilogy, DEADPOOL, HELLBOY 1 & 2, etc...
Vocalist Jonathan K. and original guiarist Floyd Rose (inventor of the famous locking guitar tremolo system) had a vision to build the biggest and baddest hard rock / metal band to come out of the Pacific Northwest.
The two recruited former TKO members Evan Sheeley (bass), Gary Thompson (drums) and Rick Pierce (guitar) to form "Q5", which would release one of the most influential cult-classic hard rock / heavy metal albums of the era: "STEEL THE LIGHT" (1984, Music For Nations)
"STEEL THE LIGHT" received widespread critical acclaim, and allowed the band the opportunity to perform alongside veteran acts such as Y&T, Twisted Sister and Lita Ford.
The buzz created by this album would plant the band firmly on the heavy metal map, and eventually lead to the band signing with Polygram/Squawk Records for its sophomore effort "When The Mirror Cracks" (1985), a decidedly different, but equally acclaimed work.
Musical and industry changes caused the band to split up in 1989.
Discouraged but never defeated, Jonathan K. and Rick Pierce went on to form "NIGHTSHADE", releasing three albums worldwide (the first of which, "DEAD OF NIGHT" (1991 Music For Nations), included current Q5 drummer Jeffrey McCormack.)
With the NIGHTSHADE releases and the growing cult status of the prior Q5 albums, it was only a matter of time before demand for the band that started it all would make its presence known.
In 2014, promoters with the popular Swedish rock festival "SWEDEN ROCK" requested a Q5 reunion, and the band accepted. Original members Jonathan K., Evan Sheeley and Rick Pierce recruited METAL CHURCH guitarist Rick Van Zandt and former NIGHTSHADE drummer Frankie Rongo to replace the absent Floyd Rose and Gary Thompson.
The response was overwhelming, and the fans demanded a full reunion.
After returning to the US, Q5 was reborn. Rick Van Zandt returned to his duties with METAL CHURCH, and Frankie Rongo returned to his career is physical training, which lead the band to recruit former FAR CRY guitarist Dennis Turner, and former NIGHTSHADE / HEIR APPARENT / FIFTH ANGEL drummer Jeffrey McCormack to complete the relaunch lineup.
After a series of successful performances throughout Europe and the US, the band was signed to FRONTIERS MUSIC, SRL for its third release, the extraordinary "NEW WORLD ORDER", released worldwide in July of 2016.
The success of this album, along with performances around the globe, and an overwhelming "WELCOME BACK" sentiment from their fans brings the band running full throttle into 2018!
With a new year and a new energy, the band again has a new face in veteran Seattle guitarist James Nelson, (replacing Rick Pierce), and a fresh outlook on their new music as they begin writing their fourth effort, and prepare to prove yet again what Jonathan K and Floyd Rose envisioned all those years ago....
Q5 IS READY FOR THE WORLD!!!!
New CD due in Late 2018, Tour dates to follow!
JONATHAN K. : Vocals
EVAN SHEELEY : Bass / Vocals
DENNIS TURNER : Guitar / Vocals
JAMES NELSON : Guitar / Vocals
JEFFREY McCORMACK ; Drums / Vocals